Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Me as a Shoeaholic Mum!

As a kid, all I can remember was owning a pair Adidas Samba back in '87. It was a pretty much a big deal especially when your parents are OFWs in Saudi. Yeah, I was an OFW kid. Raised in an average household and eldest among the brood of three. The only girl, to top it off.

During my teens and around college, I collected Chuck Taylors and Vans Slip-ons. I was always fond of guy's shoes especially skate brands and the likes of Nike and Adidas with rare designs. Bit by bit I started to own a few slip-ons and sneakers. I remember diligently saving my allowance for quirky pair each month! When I had my "career" I then began buying different styles of ballet shoes, flats, wedges and of course, killer heels. I had a favorite store back in the Emirates that I constantly check every week -- Stradivarius, H&M, Spring (ALDO's cheaper counterpart) and yes, ShoeMart. Stradivarius offers the best VINTAGE looking kicks with only one pair each design. Amazing! Then you have H&M, Spring and ShoeMart for designer replicas at a very affordable price! Each pair I owned was in the most vibrant color possible. After all, I am a fan of the VINTAGE Era.

If you ask me now where they are... they're gone. After giving birth I decided to get rid of them cos I wanted to get rid of the bad vibes. It was a "new life, new things" drama. I dunno how to explain myself but well, I just didn't like them hanging around anymore. After giving birth, I became a size 7 from size 6 and alot of common Mummy friends have also experienced this "change" too. Although, I kept a few of my favorite pairs but the rest just don't fit me anymore.


Wan's 2011 Collection

I really don't know where I started nor how it all began. Wan started out owning only three pairs of hard soled shoes before he could walk -- his first pair of Chuck Taylors which was a gift from Mama, his Adidas Goodyear Edition and our beloved gold-striped Adidas Superstar which we brought in Dubai back in 2009 when we went for a visit. After his first birthday, we got his first pair of Nike Dunks and then the list went on and on. One pair from the other. I began shoe hunting from Ebay to Multiply to Facebook Sellers. It was like candy. It was heaven! Everything I found was a great catch with each pair unique above the rest -- preloved or brand new, if it fits the budget, why not? And I never knew I'd be a shoeaholic and these pairs aren't even mine at all!

I actually sold some of the pairs that he has outgrown. Athough there are really a few which I found it hard to let go. If I could recall I already sold around 20 pairs of shoes, selling it to Moms like me with whom I share the same sentiment with when it comes to making their little guy to look good through my online shop. These clients have then become my friends in the later part - Sarah, Johanna, Arah, Eyak, Rhiane, Zara, Madeline and Myrna. We all share the same sentiment when it comes to shoes. And yes, they all blame me for making them a shoeaholic! =) This is one reason that I created The Shoeaholic Mummy Club! I found my soul sisters!

Shopping for a new pair actually became my guilty pleasure. I think one reason is that I am compensating on the fact that I am a single parent and raising my son alone is a great workload. I don't want him to be deprived of the good things in life that I can afford. It may be brand new or pre owned, it doesn't matter. As long as I know he looks good on them! Hihihi.

Cheers to fellow shoeholic Mums! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment